Scarlet Tanager - Zaleski Wild Turkey Management


While deep in the Zaleski Wild Turkey Management Area, I happened along a stream with the most beautiful bright red bird.

With the colors so bright, I had at first mistaken it for a long forgotten fisherman's bobber.







But wait. . . it moved???

Many seeing the picture, insisted I had captured a Cardinal. Being a novice bird watcher, I knew this could not be true. The beak of this bird was not black and the typical black mask was missing.

Thanks to the internet, I believe I have correctly identified this beautiful creature as a Scarlet Tananger. This is the first for me and one I'm thrilled to share with you.


Of course, if you believe I have missed the identification of this bird, please feel free to share. I'm just an amateur and bound to make a mistake.

3 Comments

Tom Arbour said...

Looks like a Scarlet to me!

Tom

Belinda Augustus said...

UPDATE: OHTom from Twitter states:

@HAHRealEstate Looks like you've got a scarlet tan to me. Listen for their "Chick Bur" calls as well...Often heard before seen.

Joe Todd said...

Great picture Great area..Spent Sunday clearcreek Fern Trail and Cemetary ridge trail.. Will be putting some pictures on my blog and maybe Facebook